los angeles, california . . . musings on music, literature and life

5.10.2005

update . . . blogging for credit

So after my office hours this afternoon, I ran the blogging idea by my boss, and when she finally understood what I was talking about, she freaked out about it (in a good way!) Not only does she want me to write up a proposal and implement something for summer session (which is a mere 6 weeks from now--I know it sounds like a long way away, but I have a full load of current students and a dissertation chapter to finish in the meanwhile!)

But this is a good thing, and I think it could end up being really cool--especially because one of the things I love most about my job is that I get to learn a ton about all these different professions and companies, etc., and I've often thought to myself, I wish that my other students could hear about this or that or the other thing. It never happens because we don't actually have a class. . .

But there are still things to work out:
access would likely have to be limited to students enrolled in the course, and it would have to be optional since I imagine not everyone would be as into as I am . . . I'll need to come up with guidelines, etc.

But I have a meeting with my department head later this week (my boss is not my department head--I have an appointment with the college of letter and sciences to represent my dept. so need to run it by the English folks and L&S folkd both--you think bureacracy is bad with one level at universities-try doubling the fun! Lordy, Lordy, Lordy!) Anyway, if he gives the thumbs up, I'll be meeting with tech-folks probably next week . . .

crazy.
but in a good way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quycksilver said...

My course is pass/no pass, so I'll somewhat limited in how much I can require. I'm hoping that students will personalize their sites and do more than they need to, but I want to be realistic about what I can expect.

My students need to write weekly 2-3 page response papers, and while I'm always hopeful that they're learning something about writing, if only in the practicing of it, it's not a composition class, and the credits they earn don;t count for much of anything . . . but they do allow students to do their internships (It's CA state law that all internships for profit-making enterprises must be paid or for credit--not surprisingly, most all of them are for credit).

Anyway, I think it will be a good way of making the assignments seem more relevant and more beneficial to everyone, but I do want to respect the students who might be shy about it . . .

Of course, I don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse--we'll see what the dept. head has to say first.

But I don't think you're crazy--sounds like the aims of your course are quite different from mine, and I say go for it! The novelty might wear off, but there's lots to think abot and learn here!

10:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home