los angeles, california . . . musings on music, literature and life

5.04.2005

There goes the bride

Like many Americans, I've been really fascinated by the recent news story about the woman in Georgia who feigned her own abduction and ran away a few days before what sounds like a wedding of truly Gatsbian proportions. I guess I'm most surprised by the harshness of the media now that she is back home. Don't get me wrong--I'm not endorsing the whole "fake your own kidnapping" runaway bride scenario, but these people who are calling for a public crucifixion? Is that not strange to anyone but me? I mean, it's like it was okay when there was a threat to her physical safety, but now that she's back, she's right up there with Martha Stewart and Monica Lewinsky in the "women who will forever live in shame and infamy" category. It's like the people of her town are more
upset because they feel humiliated than anything else. First of all, since when is showing concern for a fellow human-being something to be ashamed of? Secondly, whatever happened to compassion? I mean, clearly the woman has some issues that she needs to work through, and I'm guessing that being plastered all over the national news is hard enough without people calling you all sorts of names, telling your fiancé to dump you, and wanting to bring back the stocks in the town square.



But maybe I should pack up and move to Duluth, Georgia. Clearly, people there are all perfect and have never made any mistakes or gotten freaked out or scared of anything. Sounds like an absolute utopia. A second Eden. Hallelujah.

christ.

All I have to say is: people who live in glass houses . . .
And what the hell is wrong with these people who are mad that the authorities considered the possibility that the fiancé might have had some role in the disappearance. Turns out that he didn't, and that's great. It fact it turns out that he is a really great guy by the sound of it (figures that he's already engaged!) But can people really have forgotten Scott Peterson already? Don't they show Law and Order in the South? SVU? Any of the CSI's? Uh, hello--OJ?

Anyway, I feel badly for the woman and her fiancé, and I hope they work through whatever issues they have and make it down that altar. I also hope that all of those people calling for her head on a platter choke on the cake. I'm not wishing death, mind you, just a bit of a wake up call.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

My first thought when I heard about her missing was that the fiance was involved. She went out for a run and never came back? Um yeah. Mark Hacking (guy from Salt Lake City who lied about grad school) said the same thing about Lori. Then he admitted that she never went out for that run...

I jokingly told Ken that if he ever wanted to do me in not to tell authorities that I went out for a run because no one ever believes that story.

6:43 AM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

i think people are frustrated because of the amount of concern and attention that her disappearance garnered. it is a good thing people don't do things like that all the time - it would make actual disappearances less noticed.

i am glad she is home, and i hope that she wouldn't have done what she did if she had known the extent to which it would have gone.

2:30 PM

 
Blogger Quycksilver said...

Amanda, you make good points--the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome is never a good example to set. I immediately thought of Laci Peterson when I heard the story on the news and was really concerned, but the backlash really is unbelievable--there's been talk of sending her to JAIL . . .

Lori, I remember the Hacking story too, and what a nightmare that must have been for all involved--Lori's mother was on Oprah a while back, and while I don't usually watch Oprah, I got sucked into this segment. absolutely heartbreaking.

3:24 PM

 
Blogger jazz said...

for once it wasn't the boyfriend/fiance/husband. i always joke with my best friends fiance that if anything happens to her that i'll know it was him b/c i watch all the crime shows. i secretly want to be a forensic scrapologist.

9:26 PM

 
Blogger Michelle said...

I just read your post on Amanda Sue's blog about wishing you could play the cello. Do you really play the viola? Because if so, then that's so cool, because so do I! Now, do you really play, or are you like me and only play once or twice a year for something?

1:59 PM

 
Blogger Quycksilver said...

Hi Michelle--Thanks for posting. I do in fact play the viola. I don't play now as much as I would like or as much as I used to, but I am a member of a local orchestra, so I play weekly (or more). Also will have some chamber music coming up as a fellow violist in the orchestra is about to have her first baby, so I'll be filling in for her with her quarter (they play mostly weddings and the like). But I struggled in college about whether to pursue music as a career or literature--literature won, but I've managed to keep music in my life so far--it just has to take the backseat to other things like my dissertation . . .

:)

2:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home