los angeles, california . . . musings on music, literature and life

4.19.2005

Happy Birthday

to my little furry friend Owen. He's four today (or sometime around now--as he was a rescue, all we have are best guesses since no one was actually around for the birth!) But it's absolutely amazing to me that the little O. is already 4, and that Winston, his adopted brother is 5! It seems like yesterday that I was obsessed with finding the perfect grey cat (somehow, two of them managed to find me instead)! And yet it seems like they're been a part of my life forever. I guess that's the way it is when things are right.

The funny thing is that growing up, I was never a cat person--in fact, I didn't like cats at all. We always had dogs, and I loved dogs. Of course, my life doesn't permit a dog, even if my lease did (but it doesn't either). So when the hedgehog passed away (yes, I had a pet hedgehog--but that's another blog for another time), I needed to find a pet that was both legal in CA (thus no more hedgehogs) and conducive to a sometimes home, sometimes not, guardian. Cats were not the obvious choice; I didn't understand cats probably because I hadn't ever been around them. Thanks to a few good friends and their felines, I adopted Winston in June of 2000. It took a little adjustment in the beginning, but most things do.

Owen came along about a year later.
And that was four years ago.

3 Comments:

Blogger jazz said...

good for you for finding the heart to like cats. i still haven't. i've tried, kinda but i'm not secure enough with myself, i don't think. i need that hefty reassurance from a dog that yes, they love you and yes, they missed you SOOO much...even when i only went outside to check the mail and came back in...

9:21 PM

 
Blogger Quycksilver said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:20 PM

 
Blogger Quycksilver said...

Truth be told, my cats think they are dogs, or at least one does. The other thinks he's a person. But it makes a big difference, I've found when they're your cats because then they bond and actually pay attention to you!

But there's definitely something to be said for a happily wagging tail and big happy dog-grin! I just can't get home often enough to walk a dog, and living in an apt., it hardly seems fair to coop one up all day long . . .

thanks for posting
:)

11:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home