los angeles, california . . . musings on music, literature and life

10.04.2005

oh. my. god.

guess who I saw in Whole Foods this afternoon.
and not only did I have a good long sighting, first in the parking lot, and then in front of the store and again in the store, but he's a nice guy. Tere was this woman who was entering the store with a very little newborn in one of those slings that are all the rage, and he actually interrupted his conversation on his cellphone to stop her and tell her "You have the most beautiful baby!" (and he was right--the baby was absolutely adorable!) Most a-listers I've seen don't go out of their way to engage random strangers in public, even ones with adorable babies . . .
it made me happy.

And that's on top of the most amazing weekend I've had in a really long time. No it has nothing to do with the guy who hasn't called me in over a week. he's been away, first visiting a friend for her 30th birthday and then travelling for work, but y'know what, I'm over it. And that's in large part because a) I've had this relationship before and though certain things were WAY better, even that didn't go anywhere good in the end. Certainly not willing to walk down that path again with a guy who isn't even that great of a kisser. . . and b) because if I'm going to pine away for an absent guy with a great accent, he's going to be hot too . . . In other words, I've found replacements for my attention (they are both completely unattainable, but that's okay). Crushes are fun.

Went to see my absolute-most-favorite band in the world, The FRAMES, this weekend, and I wore this irish football jersey to the show (being as though they're from ireland and all). I went over exceptionally early so that I could get a good spot in front of the stage (did I mention that they're my absolute most favorite band?), and I saw them coming out of the tour bus around the corner from the venue as I was on my way over. I waved (and they waved back), but I didn't stop since I didn't really know what I would say to them, besides "hey," and that just seemed stupid. Anyway, some friends that I have met at these shows in the past were there already, and apparently, they actually know the guys in the band, so the band came over and said hi to all of us, and the lead singer gave us all hugs (I thought I might actually die--imagine getting a hug from bono or michael stipe or bruce springsteen--to me this was like that, only better!) . . .

After an absolutely amazing show, I decided to hitch a ride with these friends to san francisco the next morning to do it all again. the band came out and talked to us again after the show, and they even invited us to grab a drink with them--the friends weren't going because they lived a whole lot farther away from the venue than I do, so I didn't go either (am still kicking myself for this, btw!, but it would have been weird at the time for me to go when the people who actually knew these guys didn't). Anyway, san fran was not quite as great because the crowd sucked: lots and lots of *very* drunk people who not only kept knocking into us (one of them actually told my friend who is parapalegic and in a wheelchair to stand up or get away from the front of the stage! I almost decked her, but then I'd have gotten kicked out!). The same lovely folks spilled multiple drinks on my feet and proceeded to make out, first behind me, then beside me, then practically on top of me. I think I might have even had my first (and hopefully my last) threesome. But the show was amazing despite all that, in part because the band actually changed the setlist to incoroporate a couple songs that we had all talked about the night before. . . and that was pretty damn cool.

I think I may be getting sick--have had a sore throat since I woke up this AM, and my neck is still really sore from sleeping in the passenger seat of the car without one of those funky neck pillows, but it's all so totally worth it!

Even before the Jake Gyllenhall sighting . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger jazz said...

oh i love jake! we tried to stalk him last time he was in nyc. he always stays at the mercer hotel.

someday. someday.

7:24 AM

 
Blogger Jodi said...

I love Jake Gyllenhal. Ever since The Good Girl, which I saw since I'm also a fan of John C Reilly. I'm starstruck when stars film in Boston, so I would never last in LA where sightings could be almost daily.

And thanks for the congrats. I figured by my last post, I pretty much gave it away.

10:40 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

He sure is pretty. Lucky you!
Also sounds like a really fun weekend. Anyone who has almost finished her PhD deserves to have some fun!!!

6:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home