los angeles, california . . . musings on music, literature and life

12.06.2005

no news is . . .

good news?
or not?

I don't know, but that's where I live these days, in the perpetual state of no news and neurosis. I'm told that the process takes time (we are dealing, after al, with not one academic, but an entire committee of them during the end of semester crunch) and that it's still very early on, but at the same time, I can't help but feel like the premautre purchase of interview attire has just doomed me to no interviews.

I had to go shopping over the weekend, faced with the luxury of both a little bit of free time and some good sale prices, I couldn't just wait and see if the occasion would present itself again. As a grad student, I don't have the luxury of unlimited finances , and on top of that, should I get an interview request, from that moment on, I'll be launched into high stress and pressure prep mode. So I went to the store. Twice. But I found some terrific pieces: a beautiful dark grey pants suit that looks absolutely tailored for me, and better fitting black jacket, a shell in my favorite violet color, and a good deal an a grown-up rolling carry-on suitcase. I liked the violet shell so much that I went back the next day and got the matching cardigan (how is it that I lived into my 30's and never knew the glory of cashmere? Ah yes, you say, you are a grad student and cannot afford cashmere. . . I always admired the colored when I saw it in catalogues--always noticed how the cashmere sweaters were brighter and offered in a much larger color spectrum . . . well, now I'm a believer. I also found (on the clearance rack) the most kick-ass celery colored jacket that one could imagine. Beautiful fabric, another perfect fit--the only slight drawback is that is has a hook & eye instead of a button, making it a bit more casual, but the best part is that it was only $59 (from $219).

Besides, one could make the argument that the process, if it were to be doomed, would have been doomed from the day that I booked the flight back from DC instead of Pittsburgh, thereby setting into motion an entire chain of events that predestined my job hunt to be futile and pointless. I don't really buy into that, but I'm not sure exactly why the suits seem different to my superstitious self.

Anyway, I hope the rest of you are having a better time of it than I am. I hate waiting, and that's what I'm doing. Trying to keep myself busy, but I hate that too. It's exhasting and something about it feels just artificial. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Keep your fingers crossed (fingers always look better crossed in cashmere). Here's hoping you hear something soon.

7:07 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wish I could have gone shopping with you. I'm a terrible shopper and need someone to help me find the good stuff. Hopefully, you'll get to wear all your new clothes as an employed professor very soon!

9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home