los angeles, california . . . musings on music, literature and life

1.04.2006

Yay Texas!

Am so glad that someone finally beat those USC jerks--I mean I love Pete Carroll, and I respect what the team has done, but USC fans are some of the most obnoxious and arrogant peple on the planet. I'm glad that the longhorns were able to take them down a notch or two. So to the cute lawyer I met at the bar last night who asked me who he should bet on, I hope you listened and put at least a little bit on Texas. I wish I would have. I also hope that you call me. Finally, I hope that you're right about your friend, that he really isn't as much of a jerk as he seems. Throttling random girls in a bar (me) even in jest is generally not a good idea.

To the other guys in the bar, generally, when a member of the opposite sex calls you the anti-christ, it's not going very well. Cut your losses.


Here are some additional tips:

1) when we ask you a question, answer it. You don't need to prodice dissertation length (or quality) answers. generally, these are just attempts to get to know something about the guy who bought me the drink or is sitting next to me or whatever. I'm not out to get you--if you don't want to talk, don't sit down at my table. If you just sit down and don't say anything, it's weird.

2) If you have already hit on my friend. please don't think that you can just go on down the line and hit on me next. Even if my friend doesn't like you, chances are, I'll be less than thrilled to be your back-up plan. choose your shots carefully before you decide to take them.

3) not a good idea to bring up the divorce in the first 5 minutes of conversation. not that I'm saying you shoud hide it, but I don't need to know that just yet. Spilling those beans so early on says one thing: BAGGAGE.

3B) Lose the wedding ring before you enter the bar if you're looking to meet women (or better, if you are still marred, DON"T LOOK). I don't care if you are going through a difficult divorce, or if there is some horrible story that is preventing you from removing your ring. wearing it sends a very clear message: you are unavailable, either completely or emotionally--either way, I'm not interested. I'm sorry for whatever you're going through, but I'm not going there. Really.

4) When a girl says she's fine with the drink she has, please don't buy her another one just to make a statement. I'm not going to be impressed with your generosity. I'm thinking that you want to get me drunk, or that you have some control issues. Neither is attractive. If I wanted another drink, I'd accept your offer in the first place.

5) If I give you my number, it means I'd like you to call me. If I don't give you my number, then I'm happy to never see you again. Take the hint, and don't keep asking. If you have no intention of calling, do me a favor and don't ask for the number; I won't be offended. I don't actually exect every guy I meet to ask mr for my digits, and I don't give out the number to every guy who does.

anyway . . .
at least it was an interesting evening out.

1 Comments:

Blogger dr. ross thompson said...

Hey,

Thanks for your kind comment on my Glen Hansard interview.

Glad that you enjoyed it.

Take care,

Ross.

3:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home